Wednesday, March 19, 2008

All-Star Sue Bird re-signs with Seattle Storm

SEATTLE (AP)—Sue Bird, a five-time All-Star, signed a multiyear contract Friday to remain with the Seattle Storm.

Bird will join league MVP Lauren Jackson and newly signed stars Sheryl Swoopes and Swin Cash on the Storm. Since winning the WNBA title in 2004, Seattle has lost in the first round of the playoffs the last three seasons.

“Seattle is home for me, and I am very excited to be back,” the 27-year-old Bird said. “I can’t wait to get back to Seattle to make another run at a championship.”

Anne Donovan, coach of the national Olympic team, resigned as coach and personnel director in late November after five seasons. After talk of moving the franchise, a group of season-ticket holders bought the Storm in January.

“When I heard the Storm was going to stay in Seattle under local ownership, I knew I wanted to come back,” said Bird, whose 5.6 assists per game ranks second in WNBA history.

“With re-signing Sue, and the addition of Swin Cash and Sheryl Swoopes to the incredibly talented players we already have, I couldn’t be more pleased with how our roster has come together,” said new coach Brian Agler, who is also the director of personnel.

No comments: